Get This -
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 250g packet dried lasagne pasta sheets
- small carton of cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Do This -
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, until browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, dried herbs and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Soak the lasagne sheets in a single layer in boiling water for 5 mins. (Although the packet says no pre-cook, soaking improves the texture.) Drain well.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over base of a 7cm-deep, 25cm (base) square baking dish. Arrange pieces of lasagne over base of dish. Pour enough cream to just cover lasagne sheets. Spoon one-third of the mince mixture over pasta. Spread with one-quarter of the cheeses. Repeat layers twice. Top with lasagne sheets, cream and cheeses. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese golden. Stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Option 2 - Replace cream with ricotta cheese.
Option 3 - Use a mix of all three