Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Leftover Sausage Chilli

I had some leftover sausages from dinner last night and I was going to make my Sausage Pasta Bake for dinner tonight. But I just didn't feel like pasta. I'm trying to cut down on carbs. And I know rice is carbs too, but I always feel better after eating rice than I do after eating pasta...don't know why...

So I made this instead.



Serves 4

Get This -
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium brown onion, chopped
  • 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
  • 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthways, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin seeds
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander seeds
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
  • 1 beef stock cube
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
  • small jar of hot salsa (or mild if you prefer)
  • can diced tomatoes
  • can four bean mix, drained, rinsed
  • 4 cooked thick beef sausages, thinly sliced
  • Fresh coriander leaves, sour cream, avocado and steamed rice, to serve

Do This -
  1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, capsicum and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add ground cumin, ground coriander and oregano. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, salsa and stock cube. Bring to a simmer. Add corn, beans and sausages. Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or until sausages are heated through. Top with coriander, sour cream and avocado. Serve with rice.

1 comment:

  1. Well, we shouldn’t let food be wasted, so I admire you for coming up with this great idea. Making a new sausage dish out of a leftover dish is brilliant, Thea! :) Others should use this as an inspiration to create new and unique food ideas that they can also make at home.

    Alex Staff

    ReplyDelete